Unique use of in-app purchases in Habit Breaker HD
Habit breaker happens to be the first product which uses in-app purchases in an actually useful way - to change life for better.
The idea behind an app is very simple - you commit yourself to reaching your goal, and each day you have to report to app, whether have you been behaving good or not. If not - you have to pay, thru in-app purchase.
Not new idea
Actually, it's not entirely new idea - the method is called "Ordeal therapy". Milton Hyland Erickson has extensively used it, and we can say invented it. It is described in great detail in a classic book "Ordeal Therapy: Unusual Ways to Change Behavior", by Jay Haley, but below you'll find a brief description. The method is based on a very simple idea - if you are to choose between two alternatives, two evils, you will always choose the one which is a lesser evil. That's the common sense, and that's how most living creatures behave themselves.
But imagine that one of the alternatives is something that you don't like to do - for example going to gym, staying on a diet or not smoking. How can we force you to stick to a good behavior? Answer is dead simple - we need to present you with a choice, a second alternative which will be a bigger evil than going to gym! For example - you will lose money if you don't go. Will that influence you decision making process? Say, what will you choose - lose $100 or go to gym? We think the answer is obvious.
Get this app now and see an illustrated version of these explanations.
How this app works
- You enter the habit you want to get rid of
- You track you progress towards this goal daily
- If you succeed, you receive promotion as a level-up
- If you don't, you pay. Small sums at first, but gradually going up if you don't confirm to standards you set before yourself. This is done as in-app purchase.
- If you have managed to reach level 30, you can say that you mastered this habit, and can go to next one.
Finally, some screens
Report to app:
... and recieve promotion or penalty